The 2018 Kentucky Derby is less than a week away. Currently, there are 20 runners in line to compete in the fastest two minutes in sports. If you haven’t heard of more than a handful of those thoroughbreds that’s ok. I used the weekend and a case of Red Bull to study up on the 2018 Kentucky Derby hopefuls and have the compiled the definitive 2018 Kentucky Derby power rankings!
2018 Kentucky Derby Power Rankings
2018 Kentucky Derby
144th Running of the Roses
Saturday, May 5th, 2018
Post Time: 6:34 PM ET
TV Coverage: 2:30-7:20 PM ET
Stream: NBC Sports Live
- Mendelssohn +450 – His UAE Derby victory was awe-inspiring. He’s also a half-brother to mare champion Beholder. This guy’s the real deal.
- Justify +330 – The Santa Anita Derby win was great. If he repeats it, he should finish in the Top 3. He’ll have to better than the SA Derby to beat a monster like Mendelssohn.
- Bolt d’Oro +700 – I like how he kept trying in the SA Derby even though he wasn’t going to catch Justify. Justify got an easy lead in that race. He won’t on Saturday. That gives Bolt d’Oro a shot.
- Audible +625 – The fact he can run pretty much any way he must to win a race means he should be right there in the Top 4 on May 5.
- Vino Rosso +1400 – Jockey John Velasquez chose to ride Vino Rosso over Todd Pletcher’s other Kentucky Derby contenders. That’s all you must know about his chances.
- Magnum Moon +600 – Sure, he was green in the Arkansas Derby stretch. He still easily won. Pletcher’s had 3 weeks to get him to learn how to run straight.
- My Boy Jack +1500 – Of the true closers, he’s probably the best. He looked good winning the Lexington Stakes at 1 1/16 miles. He could be a force if the pace melts down.
- Hofburg +2000 – Here’s another closer with a ton of potential. I think he’ll have a shot, like My Boy Jack, if the pace melts down.
- Good Magic +900 – Trainer Chad Brown hopes to have Good Magic peak on Saturday. Even if Good Magic peaks, he still might not finish in the Top 8.
- Noble Indy +2500 – He must improve to get into the Top 10. I believe he does. But, like Good Magic, the Top 8 are just better horses, I think.
- Flameaway +3000 – No horse runs with as much heart as Flameaway does. Heart will take you so far in the Kentucky Derby.
- Enticed +2300 – I believe he ran about as well as he could in the Wood Memorial. Without improving, he’ll have no shot on Saturday.
- Instilled Regard +2000 – He flattened after running well earlier this year. This seems too tough.
- Solomini +2200 – Usually, everything Baffert runs is live. Solomini doesn’t appear to be live on May 5, though. He’s an okay horse. These are good to great horses.
- Combatant +6000 – Steve Asmussen gets a runner in the Run for the Roses. That’s about all I can write about Combatant.
- Free Drop Billy +3500 – 35 to 1 are underlay odds on Free Drop Billy.
- Lone Sailor +4500 – He doesn’t have much chance of catching Justify, Mendelssohn, Bolt d’Oro, etc.
- Firenze Fire +5500 – He’s just not fast enough.
- Promises Fulfilled +5000 – Either runs with Mendelssohn and Justify early and loses by 50 lengths. Or, he doesn’t run with those two and loses by 25 lengths.
- Bravazo +5000 – Got lucky to win the Risen Star Stakes. That’s why he’s in the field. I don’t see any situation where Bravazo finishes in the Top 4.