The 150th running of the Belmont Stakes runs on Saturday, June 9th, 2018. Can the heavy favorite Justify become racing’s 13th Triple Crown by winning in Elmont? The Triple Crown hopeful is on track to face up to 10 opponents in the $1.5 million race. Can previous Belmont betting trends help predict the 2018 winner?
2018 Belmont Stakes Odds
- Justify +100
- Free Drop Billy +5000
- Bravazo +750
- Hofburg +425
- Restoring Hope +4000
- Gronkowski +3000
- Tenfold +1100
- Vino Rosso +850
- Noble Indy +3000
- Blended Citizen +1500
What: 150th Belmont Stakes
Where: Belmont Park | Elmont, N.Y.
When: Saturday, June 9th, 2018
Post Time: 6:37 pm ET
TV Coverage: 4:00 – 7:30 pm ET
Stream: NBC Sports Live
2018 Belmont Stakes Betting Trends
- This will be the 150th running of the Belmont Stakes. Inaugurated in 1867, it is the oldest of the three Triple Crown races. The Kentucky Derby debuted in 1875 and the first Preakness ran in 1873.
- The biggest Belmont Stakes longshot winner paid out 70-1 when Sarava won in 2002.
- Through 149 runnings of the Belmont Stakes, the odds-on betting favorite has won 62 times or 41.6%. But only two of the last 15 Belmont Stakes favorites have won: American Pharoah (2015) and Afleet Alex (2005).
- Tapit sired horses have won three of the last four Belmont Stakes races: Tapwrit (2017), Creator (2016), and Tonalist (2014). Tapit’s son Hofburg is the second favorite to win the 2018 Belmont Stakes.
- The 12 Triple Crown winners before American Pharoah defeated seven opponents in 2015 faced an average of 4.6 other horses in their Belmont Stakes wins. In the last 15 years, the average field of 10.4 runners has competed in the Belmont. Justify is on track to face 10 opponents in 2018.
- Justify’s Belmont jockey Mike Smith has won the Belmont twice in the last eight runnings: atop Drosselmeyer in 2010 and aboard Palace Malice in 2013.
- Just like Justify, in 2008 Big Brown came into the Belmont Stakes as the favorite and undefeated in just five career races. Big Brown pulled up in that race.
- Two of the largest margins of Belmont Stakes victories were by Triple Crown winners. Secretariat won by 31 lengths in 1973 and Count Fleet won by 25 lengths 30 years prior.
- 23 out of 35 horses have lost the Belmont Stakes after winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. There have been 12 winners and three horses who skipped the Belmont.